Monday, October 22, 2007

Acknowledgements

Several times over the past few months people have asked me why I was writing this story. I got the impression they either wondered what could be learned about Vernon after all these years, or why it would be something that would interest me. I always sort of mumbled something about doing it at the request of my brother. Actually, I never really knew why it was important to him, other than he and I always had a fascination about World War II. After completing my writings, I called him (he lives in LaVerne, CA) to ask the question and was surprised at his answer. He told me it was a promise he made to our Dad. He explained that Dad had often said “I wish I knew what happened to Vernon”. By the time Larry received Vernon’s file from the Department of the Army in 2000, Dad was ninety-five years old and incapable of understanding complex conversation.

A number of people have been instrumental in helping me write this story. I would like to thank Roger Phelps for not letting the project die when Larry never seemed to get around to writing the story he talked about so often. Roger’s knowledge of the Lindberg family has been very helpful. Roger and Agnes McFarland (Russell, PA) allowed me to pester them with many phone calls seeking bits of information. The fact that Roger carried pictures of Vernon in his wallet for fifty years testifies to the deep friendship the two obviously shared.

Thanks also to my daughter, Lisa Condon, for a very professional editing of my copy, and to my wife, Tillie, for her expert assistance. I wish to thank my sister, Donna, for proof reading my original copy and making numerous suggestions. Her recollection of Vernon’s girlfriend, Durneices Dean, as a tall, striking, attractive, girl with long, dark, wavy hair, seemed to bring Durneices out of the long past and into a more present reality.

I am also indebted to Marge Middlekauf, a member of my brother’s church in California, who lived in Germany during the War and worked for the Air Force as a document interpreter from 1945-50. She graciously consented to translate the German documents in Vernon’s file.

Finally, thanks to all those who answered my phone calls as I sought to put together the pieces of Vernon’s life; Sam Borland, Verta Ittel, Liz Huck, Arvella (Ittel) Erickson, Lynn Gage. If I have left any out, please accept my apology.

No comments: